Monday, March 14, 2011

Marketing Humor

Last week, my local library was hosting a job marketing seminar. Considering that I’m currently looking for a job and trying to make my name in the publishing industry, I saw that was a win-win. I went to the seminar, expecting a lot more out of it then I received. For the most part, I was reminded that the economy at the moment is making it hard for people to get jobs and because of so many unemployed people out there, bosses can be very picky.

At one point, the lady started talking about good qualities and bad. You’re supposed to impress your future boss with telling him/her your good skills. However, in order to truly know what you’re good at and what you’re not so good at, you need a friend to tell you, truthfully, what your strengths and weaknesses are. Then, the lady went on to say that better yet, instead of one friend, have two friends and you could have a whole threesome.


At that moment, I felt myself blush and had to bite down on my lips to keep myself from laughing. I slowly looked around the room and realized I was the only one who had such a reaction to the word. Embarrassed, I covered my mouth in a pretend thoughtful gesture, making sure that no one could see my expression.

The lady went on to say that a threesome can be very helpful, and don’t go with five people, that’s too many.


I tried to remind myself that she was only talking about job skills. She didn’t intend for it to be dirty. Yet, in the back of my mind, the very first story in Indecent Encounters started flashing through my mind. I believe there were five of them in that story!


Eventually, I calmed down and convinced myself to forget what the lady said. I sat through the rest of the seminar, listening to the lady talk about people losing their jobs and just how long it may take to get one. According to her, her own husband has been out of work for two years.

So the whole seminar made me a little bit depressed. This economy is very horrible and I feel bad for all the people losing their jobs. However, at the very end, she reminded us all to “have a threesome” and once again I was as red as a lobster.

So what did I learn? About marketing, almost nothing. However, I did learn that I have a dirty mind and have probably read one too many erotic romances.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 
In other news, Indecent Encounters is in the running for book of the month at Happily Ever After Reviews. If you can, please vote for it here.

7 comments:

  1. :snicker:

    Same thing crossed my mind as I was reading your post. So I guess I have a dirty mind and have been reading too many erotic romances as well!

    Good luck on the job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol My mind would have been in the gutter with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always here about these awful examples where someone loses a job he had for 20 years. It's sad, but I also hear about uprising economies, so maybe things will get better soon.
    Nahno ∗ McLein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lord. That's what I thought too. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, that is funny.. Maybe the next thing is to picture the interviewer in his/her underwear? Oh, the possibilities. Good luck with the job search, Angelina. I gotta feeling you'll land a great job soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! This made me laugh. I would have a similar reaction for sure - but I'm quite certain that "threesome" thing would get a real snicker from a UK audience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Occupational hazard? Honestly, anytime I hear the word threesome I think about....well you know. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say the word in a business context before. It would have made me giggle too.

    ReplyDelete