Monday, November 12, 2012

Learning From Mistakes

I learned a valuable lesson about publishing over the last few weeks. I learned that some publishers don't play fair.

Back in May, I sighed a contract with Noble Romance Publishing for a book that was supposed to release in time for Halloween. Not only did my book not release until a few days ago, but my publisher neglected to inform me of the delay. They have actually been a nightmare to work with. My editor is the only person who has answers to my questions, or at least emails me back regarding my concerns. Editor has been great. The rest of the publisher has so far neglected to return my emails with questions or with my request for my rights back. Besides the release delay, I also haven't received my author copies yet, or my advance (yes, they offer an advance). Needless to say, I will not be publishing with Noble. And after learning that they don't pay their authors, I will not be promoting my book with them.

~*~*~*~*~*~

In other publishing news, my erotic menage romance, FLAMES OF DESIRE, is set to release on November 15th, which is this week! My experience with Evernight Publishing has been great. I love that publisher and will continue publishing with them.

Besides Flames, I also have another book in print. The Virgins Behaving Badly Anthology is now available on print through Createspace and Amazon. Get your copy now!

So what has been need with all of you?

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it strange how one publisher can be so different from another?

    I'm sorry Noble dropped the ball. They may think it's nothing to snub an author, but authors talk to one another. Your post is a fair warning to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I've seen some great publishers and some bad ones in my day.

      Delete
  2. Hm...This is three pubs now on my "never sub to" list. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angelina,
    It's a sorry state of affairs when this happens. I've heard so many horrible stories coming from authors who have dealt with small e- press publishers, myself included.

    I'm not subbing to any small press publisher again. My last two novels were so rushed, and never edited properly and when I did get one back paragraphs were changed and it didn't make sense. Words added, words taken away with nothing in there place. I had such a hard time with them. I don't promote these novels and hope people do not buy them.

    It's not my favourite 'Heat in the Outback' that one was relatively good, but my last two novels which were contracted at the same time. I tried to get my rights back due to a clause they had broken, but it didn't eventuate and they told me it would go to publication as it was.

    I wasn't impressed at all. Very unprofessional. As soon as I have another contract with someone else they will be disappearing from my website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your bad experience. If you're ever looking for a good publisher, I highly recommend Evernight. They are small compared to Samhain or Carina, but they really know what they are doing.

      Delete