Friday, January 28, 2011

Drive With Me

Ideas come to me easily, but they are shaky and scratchy. They are like a blueprint to a house, far from being a home. As I sit to write, the characters and plots develop well, but it’s still not perfect. Yesterday, I discovered my muse, the one thing that makes my stories tick.
When I was writing “Intimate Healing”, I had the plot, the characters, and an external conflict. But the internal conflict was lacking. I needed something. While on a rainy night while driving to Petsmart for doggy classes, “Intimate Healing” came to mind. I saw scenes. In my mind, I saw my heroine, Jordan, demand the hero, Nate, for the truth. I saw the lightning flash and tree branches break. I saw a fight so intense, I felt a chill run down my back. And then, the calm after the fight when the secret was revealed and the painful truth was out.

Of course, it was such a good plot twist. The perfect internal conflict to drive the story until the last page. I felt like a genius when that happened.
Yesterday, I was on my way to the grocery store. It was snowing, the roads were slippery, and my radio was playing “Jar of Hearts” by Christina Perri (great song) when all of the sudden, the same thing happened. In the back of my mind, my current WIP started playing.

I saw a building explode. A thunderstorm raging outside, as a fire was brazing inside. I saw my heroine, Issella, trapped inside the blaze, hoping to see her hero, Matt, one last time before she died. I saw Matt run toward the burning building, searching for Issella only to realize she was probably inside. I saw the reunion. Issella, covered in ashes and soot, running toward the hero. I saw a kiss that could melt Alaska as they both exchanged “I love you” for the first time. I saw them both living, but coming so close to losing it all. As I pulled into the store parking lot, I was speechless at the intensity of the scene and my twisted imagination.

So I found my muse. Slick roads and my little blue Chevy.

So what about you? Do you have scenes flash through your mind and make that light bulb over your head illuminate?

6 comments:

  1. Driving gives me my best ideas. That and showers--but when the water runs cold, I've been plotting too long. LOL.

    I probably need to go for more drives. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! I've been struggling with putting something together in a way that made sense. Then it clicked into place - finally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. Driving is a good one - the shower, making dinner. Conversations with others spark a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I do. Driving and dreams are probably the two biggest places I run into my muse.

    Yea for finding yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stories run like a video in my mind as well. I see the characters so clearly, and what is happening. It can roll at anytime. This is when I need to jot down what I see and hear before I forget. :) It's not usually when I'm driving though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Driving yields some of my best ideas.

    ReplyDelete