Monday, February 27, 2012

Childhood Memories

When I was a kid, all the streets of my neighborhood were lined with beautiful trees that bloomed with
furry little balls in the spring. I didn't know the name of the trees, so I always used to call them "kittens" because of their furry blossoms.

To me, seeing those beautiful blooms told me that spring was coming and Easter was right around the horizon. I remember breaking off the branches and taking them home after school, petting the blooms between my fingers, mesmerized by the feel of fur on my skin.

When I was nine, we moved and I never saw trees like those again. Now yesterday, I was out looking at plants at a local nursery when I saw the furry "kitten" tree! It's called the Weeping Pussy Willow (get your minds out of the gutter! *wink*) and it's absolutely beautiful. I had to buy it! Although I'm not much of a plant person, and most of the plants I've owned I killed (mainly by forgetting to water them), I still needed this plant in my house.

Along with the Pussy Willow, I also bought the money tree. Yes, there's a money tree! I had to get it after seeing that name on it. Now I hope it sends money my way.

Do you have any favorite plants from your childhood?

6 comments:

  1. Cool. How tall is that tree going to get? Will you have to plant it outside eventually?

    I've always been partial to red geraniums. My grandmother used to grow them. I'm sure that's why it's always left me with a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could grow as big as a typical weeping willow, but if you keep them trimmed, you could keep them at six feet, supposedly.

      I will try to keep it as an indoor plant. I read a book about bonsai trees once and it said that any tree could be made into a bonsai if you plant it in a planter and keep it trimmed without letting it get too big. I will try to do that with this plant, but if I notice it starting to die then I will have to plant it outside.

      PS: I like red geraniums too. They are very pretty.

      Delete
  2. Childhood memories, they are dear.
    Oh my mind wasn't in the gutter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, childhood memories are very dear. PS, my mind was in the gutter when I learned that name. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Pussy willows were popular where I grew up, too. Lilacs trees are nice, too. My favorite plant is the hyacinth. They smell so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hyacinth. They do smell nice. They always remind me of spring.

      Delete